Contact Us

A Brief Chronology of the
Gruenewald Historic House & Site

1800 Delaware Indian village located in this vicinity under the rule of Chief William Anderson, "Kik the we nund." His son-in-law, William Connor, maintained a fur trading post near where the house is located.
1821 Delaware Indians were removed and most of them resettled in Oklahoma. Burial grounds are located in the area immediately south of the house, Main to Central and north of 8th Street.
1823 John Berry patented under the signature of President James Monroe, a plot of ground later known as Andersontown. This land was offered to the Madison County Commissioners with the stipulation that Anderson would become the county seat of Madison County.
1827 John & Sally Berry gave 30 acres to the county. Home Site is located thereon. After several additions and plats were made, Hannan and Hazlett Additions became the name of the ground, northeast square, original Plat of City of Anderson, Lot # 3.
1860 Alfred Makepeace purchased Lot 3 and constucted a small two room log cabin/brick house with a shed type roof. These rooms now compose the present kitchen & dining rooms with lofts above.
1870 Moses Cherry, a saddle and harness maker, began the construction of the elegant French "Second Empire" Townhouse attaching it to the original structure.
1871- The Panic of 1873 financially ruined Cherry who was forced to sell the house to Martin and Christiana Gruenewald.
1873 The family completed the structure. Mrs. Gruenewald died at the age of 49 and Martin continued to live here until his death at the age of 94 in 1933.
1933- The thirteen-room structure was utilized for several purposes: a dog & cat hospital, beauty shop, grocery store, and several configurations of apartments.
1972 The Urban Development commission purchased the house from Wahn Dean in February.
1973 Several community organizations and individuals saved the house from demolition to prevent it from becoming a parking lot. The Lilly Foundation made a matching grant of $35,000. The First Restoration began.
1974 House placed under the Anderson Parks Department (Res. 4-74) on August 21st.
1976 After matching funds were raised throughout the community, the house was officially opened to the public as part of the U.S. Bicentennial celebration on June 6th. A Board of Directors governs the house.
1990s The Second Restoration was undertaken with new roof, interior & exterior repairs and enhancements.
1994-6 Carriage House purchased. Renovations begin.
1999 Real Estate deeded from City of Anderson to Board of Directors.
2001 Museum Room established.
2002 The Third Restoration remodeling of "working" kitchen & restroom, foundation of house shored-up, old plumbing removed and new installed, painting inside and out all completed.
Currently, the efforts of a volunteer Board of Directors maintain the museum house.